Wednesday, 8 February 2017

It’s so sh*t being a full time working Mummy


 



Just got back to work after my lunch break and I am realising even more how shit it is being a full time working mum. I had a 45 minutes lunch break which I drove home and cleaned the kitchen top to bottom (didn’t have time for floor). I run round like a crazy women trying to get things done in my lunch breaks as it’s the only way to get everything done.

I work 5 days a week 8 till 4.30pm but by the time I collect Sonny from childcare or his nanny’s house I sometimes don’t get home till 6pm. Sonny usually has bedtime milk at 6pm so its PJs milk and ‘In the night garden’ then bed. No time for fun or to spend time with my little monkey.

Sonny is 19 months old and I have been doing this since he was 9 months old. I have missed out on so much of his growing up, I hate that. Before I know it he will be starting school.
When I returned back to work after maternity leave I wanted to return part time but that wasn’t an option and my company only offered full time. My whole maternity leave I had it in my head I would be a part time working mum, this didn’t go to plan and it was hard and still is.
The reason I went back to the same company was because although I didn’t want full time I like my job and the people I work with and I am lucky to have that. The wage isn’t that bad neither for my area where I live. I said I would give it a try and I have just got on with it.

Some mornings I have to wake Sonny up and take him out in this icy cold weather. I feel so bad. He is so used to it now though and he just gets on with it. I am so lucky to have a happy little boy.

One of the problems with this working all the time is I just want to spend all weekend long with my boy as it’s my only two days I get with him. This means I avoid invitations out with friends and even date nights with Darren as it would usually mean Sonny sleeping somewhere else for the night and not being with me first thing the next morning. Some friends have got distant but my closest are still about as they have children and understand. It’s also the same for family. I used to see my sister most weekends but I am lucky if I even see her once a month now. I just don’t have time to fit everyone in and get everything done at the weekends.

My house is always a mess and I can’t keep on top of the house work. Tempted to get a cleaner but just can’t justify wasting the money on one. I get so stressed with all the mess in the house. Spending time with Sonny comes before cleaning and tidying the house and it will always be that way.
The benefits are Sonny is very independent and never gets upset when I drop him off in the mornings. He loves nursery and going to his nanny’s. His development is coming along quicker from nursery I have noticed. He is a very sociable little boy and it’s so lovely to see that when I am out and about with him.
The main thing is that Sonny is happy, which I can see he totally is. Otherwise I wouldn’t be doing any of this.

Things need to change in the next year though and if I can’t go part time in the future it would mean leaving my current job, this would be sad as I have worked here for 11 years now and it would feel strange working somewhere else.

Do you work full time as a mummy? How do you feel working and being a mummy? Any advice? Please comment below.
 
 
Thanks for reading
Bexmorts
xx